A crown is often used for its functional properties, like veneers these too can be used to bring about excellent aesthetic modifications in a smile.
The common indications for a crown are:
- To restore a badly decayed teeth, with large fillings or teeth which are root canal treated.
- To protect fractured teeth where little tooth structure is left.
- When the position, shape, size or colour of the teeth have to be dramatically altered.
- To improve the bite.
- To strengthen worn down or mobile teeth.
- As part of a bridge to support a tooth replacement.
- To be placed over an implant.
What Types of Crowns Are Available?
crowns can be made in your dentist’s office. Typically, temporary crowns are made of an acrylic-based material or stainless steel and can be used as a temporary restoration until a permanent crown is constructed by a lab.
- Permanent crowns
can be made from stainless steel, all metal (such as gold or another alloy), porcelain-fused-to-metal, all resin, or all ceramic.
- Stainless steel
crowns are prefabricated crowns that are used on permanent teeth primarily as a temporary measure.
used in crowns include alloys that have a high content of gold or platinum, or base-metal alloys . The metallic color is the main drawback. Metal crowns are a good choice for out-of-sight molars.
dental crowns can be color matched to your adjacent teeth (unlike the metallic crowns). These crowns can be a good choice for front or back teeth as well as long bridges where the metal is needed for strength.
dental crowns are less expensive than other crown types. However, they wear down over time and are more prone to fractures than porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns.
- All-ceramic or all-porcelain
dental crowns provide better natural color match than any other crown type and may be more suitable for people with metal allergies. All-ceramic crowns can be used for front and back teeth.
HOW DO I LOOK AFTER MY CROWNS?
- Brush and floss thoroughly.
- Keep it safely. If your crown broken or come out contact your Dentist immediately.